Tuesday, March 18, 2014

South Central Los Angeles

Too Hood Rich South Central MeetupWhat do you think of when you think of South Central? Do you think of Korea Town? Do you think of the Ghetto? Maybe you think of home. I am proud to say that I grew up in South Central and I survived. Being from South Central (no Los Angeles needed) became a topic of discussion while we volunteered at Shelter Partnership’s Shelter Resource Bank. I am part of a volunteer organization called One Brick

I was the only Black woman among my group of 16.

After easing my way into the conversation and whoo’ing the crowd with my varied background, I stammered a bit when asked where I was from. I had practiced this weeks before. I wanted to be fair to my hometown and my homies who are all over the world. I wanted to glorify Los Scandalous. ”I’m from South L.A.” I managed. 

Being from South L.A. wasn't good enough, though. I’m from South Central! I corrected, with a Cheshire cat’s smile on my face. As I’m the consummate devil’s advocate – “Let’s talk about it…” A cute little vegan, white lady from Ohio thought of Korea Town when she thought of South Central and “The Riots…” she added. The [L.A.] Riots of 1992 ensued after 4 Los Angeles police officers were acquitted in the brutal beating of Rodney King, which was caught on tape. The vegan woman, from Ohio, saw it all on t.v.

Previously, some in the group were amazed that I had been a flight attendant. I trained in Ohio and Kentucky. There was a woman who was from Kentucky volunteering, as well. “Yeah,” I went on. “I met a white woman at a swanky hotel in Marina Del Rey and she was insulted because she was offered a teaching position in “South Central” she said with disdain. After having whoo’d her in all my glory, I didn't have the heart to shatter her bubble by admitting to being from South Central. “I’m from South L.A.” I muttered to the woman at the hotel. 

Sharing the hotel story got the volunteers talking. I’m sure they have different thoughts about people from South Central now. They all agreed that I was not an angry Black woman, either. I am Black and I am proud to be from South CentralI like being a Stereotype Buster! I enjoyed my time volunteering and met great people. 

Shelter Partnership is a wonderful organization that coordinates donations for the needy - everything from furniture to sneakers to Kleenex. Check them out at Shelter Partnership

You can find One Brick and other volunteer opportunities, as well as other events at Meetup.com

by Michelle Brown


No comments: