Friday, March 28, 2014

Power Walking For Exercise


Power walking for exercise has long been my "go to" exercise. I used to frequent 24 Hour Fitness to enjoy the aqua aerobics classes, but have fallen off. I wanted to purchase a bicycle, but that hasn't come to pass. Power walking is the next best thing! 

"What is power walking?" you might ask. Power walking is walking at a brisk pace and swinging your arms that are bent at the elbows. Swing with full range and motion. Remember to breath in through your nose and breathe out through your mouth

Have you ever race walked? We did as kids. We race walked to see who could get to the dinner table first - walking without running! Try it with your kids for fun.

The best three things about my power walk this morning:

  • Accomplishing a goal: I've put myself in an arena with some amazing women and I must prove myself, to myself. I am now a contributor to an online women's magazine that will debut soon. I can't get shown up. This is like "The Hunger Games" so to speak. We all come from various backgrounds, have different priorities and ideals, and all want to win, in our own right. A wise old prophet [George Clinton of the Parliament Funkadelics] once said: "There's enough light under the sun..." There is enough light under the sun for everyone! I like light. I like sun. 
    In this forum I will be discussing my amazing weight loss of 50 plus pounds and walking has been, well you know, my "go to" exercise. I haven't walked in a while, but I've been speaking about it. Today was the day to BE about it.
  • Enjoying my neighborhood: I realized while I walked how much I enjoyed walking around in the hustle and the bustle, rather than driving in it. I have become so spoiled working from home. When I do work in the field the amount of traffic in the evenings is almost unbearable. Coupled with coordinating my schedule with my daughter since we share a car, I'm frazzled when I get home. Seems I just want to crawl in my cave and stay there! But while walking, I felt alive. I enjoyed seeing the people almost miss their turn signal because were watching me! The driver was probably thinking, "That should be me!" The jogger I encountered encouraged me to pick up the pace even more. "Burn more calories!" he huffed as he smiled and trotted in the opposite direction. A couple of the young adults offered greetings and salutations and a couple of youth failed to make eye contact. They were on their way to the college prep school near my home. We'll have to do better on Monday.
and the third best thing about my power walk this morning;
  • Enjoying nature: Spring has sprung and the sun is out early! It was cool in Los Angeles this morning, but the sun was shining bright like a diamond. As I age, I take more care to cover my neck when I am out of doors. I want to stay healthy so I donned hats, gloves, and sweaters, etc. I wasn't a couple of blocks from home before a sister got HOT! All of the layers started coming off. By the time I arrived back home they were wrapped around my arms, waist, or wherever they could ride! I'll have to do better tomorrow.

Power walking is a fun way to stay in shape, get out in the sun, and have some fun!

Now that I've done something for me, I'm ready to get the rest of my day started. I'll be working with EBT/SNAP (food stamp) vendors today and volunteering this evening. 

by Michelle Brown

Photo Credit: http://fitness.makeupandbeauty.com/do-at-home-walking-exercises-for-winters/

No comments: