Friday, July 11, 2014

Working From Home and Being Self Employed - *Good* Time Management Skills Needed

Working From Home Self Employed Time Management
Having good time management skills is a must if you plan to be successful as a self employed Field Services Professional working from home.

As I plan my schedule for the next few days, slating a full day for office work and phone calls isn't particularly feasible at this time. It is sad to say that the only time my phone rings, pretty much, it's work. That could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing. The bad thing is that my #Framily doesn't call me much. I guess that stands to reason since I don't call them much, either! The good thing is that my phone does ring, regularly.

Good time management has always been a struggle for me. That is one reason me and Corporate America couldn't get along. I mean, who likes to rush through lunch in ONE hour? I found it hard to do on a consistent basis. #NOW, I have so much work to complete that sometimes I eat lunch late or not at all! That can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing, but my diet while working in the field is another post.


Being self employed is not as glamorous as some may think. Have you ever seen a one-man band? They look a little funny, but they skillfully orchestrate all of their tools and instruments to form entertaining sounds. Often times, owning a small business means you will be wearing many  hats, using different tools and instruments. Good time management skills are a set of tools any good business would benefit from.

I'm learning that I can complete sketches and enter reports better in the morning time. I believe my creative time is during the evening. At that time my thoughts flow easily and creatively. It is in the evening when I am of no use performing left brain activities. However, in the Field Services business, planning, mapping and routing the night before are recommended. I should walk the walk.

I have been introduced to a broad concept of batching all of my activities so that I can get more done. I purchased a nifty planner from Office Depot with weekly and monthly templates. #NOW I must determine what's important for me to do daily, weekly, and monthly. I must say that my #Framily is high on the list, however one must establish boundaries and find a happy medium. Being able to hang out and commune with my #Framily any day, any hour is a dreamy benefit. Not having to ask permission from anyone is one of the greatest benefits of being self employed.

I look forward to filling my new planner with great accomplishments, giving myself checks and stars for tasks completed. It'll look nice and feel good, too. Everyone needs a stroke of the ego, every now and then. Sometimes you have to toot your own horn. Don't expect anyone else to do it for you! In addition, I look forward to seeing, in black and white, my growth and accomplishments. The year is going to pass, anyway. Will you be the same person this time next year? I plan to be bigger (in spirit) and better! How about you?

Is time management one of your strong skills? I work on my time management daily. Well, regularly. Ok I work on my time management skills often; when I have time, that is. Boy I'll tell you, it's a vicious cycle. 


by Michelle Brown



No comments: