Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I hate re-runs!!! Or, do I...?

When we say "re-run" that is the old school term for a show that has come on already. I'm sure the kids say, "It's OLD."   Back, in my day old shows were re-runs. I guess they'd start coming on after 10-13 weeks that the shows taped. Summer time was re-run time!

And who didn't love Fredrick "Re-Run" Berry from the 70's hit show What's Happening!?



In the field of Field Services, re-run means going back to a location to do something again, or to do something you forgot to do. That sounds like double resources. Time and petro. Again. Twice. But, I've learned to see it as a silver lining. There are also lessons to be learned. There are some photos I shall never forget, less I drive back to the next county, AGAIN, for one photo.

Sometimes I forget a photo because I am being interrupted by anxious vendors. Everyone is so happy and excited to see me come in. (I love my job.)  My inspection or review is one of the last steps in a long process for vendors (your neighborhood Mom/Pop stores) to be qualified to accept SNAP/ EBT (food stamps). The staff is eager with questions: "When will I get my machine? How did I do? Are we ready, yet? Can I sell Monster drinks with EBT?"  *I don't know. I have to remind them that I don't work for the USDA and that I am an independent contractor. I can't say YAY or NAY. I wish I could qualify everyone to accept SNAP/EBT

What I have learned for certain is to chalk up re-runs to the game. I know some of my competitors don't want to use the extra resources; some might think the mistake wasn't their fault. Maybe they also work a 9 to 5,  Monday through Friday job and conduct inspections in the field on weekends. They can't rush back out. Can you say, "Money GONE!"?

Re-runs should be completed within the next 24-48 hours. I have room in my schedule for re-runs as I am always in the field. What is one more stop among 10? Most times I do not balk, whether the mistake was mine or Quality's. I acknowledge the need to re-run and then I "get 'er done"! My manager has never seen me but answers my call, "Hey Sunshine. What's up?" Now that's business development.

In the end, I continue working. It's been a year and a half with the USDA SNAP/EBT program. I've obtained FDA recall reviews and continue to seek other ways to develop my business in Field Services.


A wise old woman once told me some days you are the windshield and some days you are the bug!

I am just ever grateful to be back in the game again (today)!  ;-)


by Michelle Brown

No comments: